Sunday, June 10, 2012

33 weeks

I went in for my 33 week checkup this week (the doctor wants to see me much more frequently now because I gave birth early with Squiggles).  Dr. MacKenzie often has medical students working with him, and this week, he had a new student:  a friend of mine from my PhD program (she recently finished and is back in medical school).  It was fun to have her be my “doctor” for the visit.

Everything looked great, except my fundal height was measuring bigger than expected.  Dr. MacKenzie had me go to the hospital the next day for some ultrasound scans just to make sure everything was okay. 

I haven’t spoken with the doctor yet, but I requested a copy of the scans to be put on a CD, and showed them to Tim when he got home.  He said everything was in a “normal” range. 

However… drumroll…

The baby is estimated to already be 6 pounds!  Ahhhhhh!!!!  I’m so glad she’s healthy, but I’m a little terrified to give birth now.  Squiggles was born at 34 weeks, and she was barely 5 pounds.  Most of the baby’s measurements were average for somebody who is about 36 weeks along (they print the averages on the scans).  This baby already weighs as much as Squiggles did when she was about 7 weeks old. :)  D’oh!  Long labor ahead.l  I’m a little relieved because if I give birth early again, at least the baby will be in good shape to start out in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment