Friday, May 18, 2012

30-week scare–beware the mango!

My PhD advisor saw me recently eating a bowl of fresh pineapple.  She said, “Laura, didn’t you know that pineapple can cause contractions?”   Since I wasn’t having any contractions, I laughed and blew it off as an old-wives’ tale.  I did do some Googling, and read that mango and kiwi contain the same (possible) labor-inducing enzyme as pineapple.  I love all three fruits, so I decided it was wisdom worthy of completely ignoring.

Incident one:  I bought and ate a fresh mango one afternoon.  That night as I was trying to sleep, I was awoken several times by extremely painful cramping ten to twenty minutes apart.  I asked Tim for a glass of water, and things settled down.

Incident two:  I ate some delicious mango sorbet at an ice cream shop.  Repeat Incident one experience with nighttime contractions / cramping.

Incident three:  Yesterday I drank and Odwalla mango smoothie.  Last night, I could barely sleep because I kept having contractions, and was awake from 1:00 – 4:00 am with very painful cramping / contractions that were two to three minutes apart.  Drinking water didn’t help at all, and I was already resting.  I was terrified that I was going into labor, and I think Tim was too.  It’s just too soon!  I drank three glasses of water, did laps between my living room and kitchen, and finally fell asleep in the rocking chair in Squiggles’ room.  I slept for a couple hours, and awoke to contractions again, but much less painful than before. I  went back to our bedroom and slept for another couple hours, and woke up with only minor Braxton Hicks contractions.  Phew!!!   I had spent the night before trying to come up with a plan for caring for a premature baby in the NICU, taking care of Squiggles, and finishing my PhD.  I hadn’t actually come up with any viable ideas, so hopefully I can keep this baby in for another couple months. :)

Needless to say, old-wives’ tale or not, I’ll be staying away from mangoes.  Until week 40, at which point there will be mango mania!

No comments:

Post a Comment