Monday, May 14, 2012

29.5 weeks

The baby is moving around a lot lately.  She doesn’t seem to sleep much, actually.  Hopefully this isn’t an omen of things to come.  She (like her sister, when she was in utero) rearranges herself every time I change position.  I have really enjoyed watching my abdomen lately – I can see elbows and feet and hands pushing and stretching all the time.  I like to think she’s doing yoga.

I’ve been having dreams that the baby is born early (like her sister was). Last night I dreamed the baby was born, and I gave it to my mom to take care of because what I really needed to do was go hiking and get some exercise. As I was hiking along, I realized that I had forgotten to send a picture of the baby to my department, so I texted my mom and asked her to take a picture of the baby and send it to me. Oh dear… hopefully I’ll be a slightly more responsible mother in real life.  But then suddenly in my dream I started sobbing because I missed being pregnant… then I knew I was dreaming. Smile

I had a prenatal appointment a couple weeks ago. I had to take my glucose tolerance screen… and I failed it.  I only failed by a few points, but I have to take the 3-hour fasting test on Wednesday. I guess I shouldn’t have eaten a cookie and cupcake from Flour on the way to my appointment (d’oh!).   I’m pretty sure I’m not diabetic, but I’m not looking forward to drinking that syrup again – disgusting!  And I have to have my blood drawn at least 3 times – I’m not so much a fan of needles.

I also found out that I was quite anemic.  I told Tim the day before the test that I thought I was anemic – I felt like I was on the verge of  fainting almost constantly for a couple days and had less energy than I’ve ever had in my life.  A couple weeks ago, I got lost three time on my commute. Once I ended up in Concord, once somewhere on the Middlesex Turnpike, and once I ended up heading west on the Mass Pike heading toward Framingham. I felt like I couldn’t concentrate for the life of me. One afternoon, I texted Tim and told him I thought he’d better drive me home that day – I didn’t feel safe behind the wheel. It was a very strange feeling – usually my iron levels are great.  I bought some “gentle” iron, and I’ve been feeling MUCH better the last few days.   I guess I should have been taking my prenatal vitamins (d’oh!).

The third piece of disturbing information was that I gained 16 pounds in 14 days.  It was almost all water – I could see it and feel it in my face, neck, arms, and legs.  Very disturbing.  My doctor thought it was probably because I had severe allergies at the time (blood vessels get much leakier during times of histamine).  I think he was right – I’ve gotten rid of a lot of the fluid during the last few days (which corresponds to my allergies lessening significantly).

During my last appointment, they did an ultrasound because I thought maybe I had leaked some amniotic fluid (I won’t go into details).  Everything looked good (lots of fluid pockets), and the baby looked great.  She did look like she had a large head (d’oh!).

I have another prenatal appointment this Thursday, so hopefully I’ll have good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment